​I've been using the K3/0 mini for about a year for casual DXing and for
many contests.
The K3/0 mini is perfect -- a mirror of your K3.​  Once you get used to the
the fact that
you are setting menus on the Remote radio, all will be good.

The mix that is important is how you use the K3/0 to interconnect it to the
remote shack.
As stated here, many users are using the MicroBit RemoteRig product.  This
adds about $750+/-
to your remote cost, but provides a far superior result than any other
method.

The killers in remote operation are latency and jitter (jitter being the
varying difference in latency over time.)
The Microbit boxes use dedicated hardware, and a very flexible software
configuration. to allow you to tailor the box to your needs.   The
RemoteRig components are not designed specifically for the K3; therefore,
they have a generic interface design, and Elecraft sells the specific
interconnect cable for the K3/0.

The majority of my contesting experience has been on CW in the Majors: CQWW
and ARRL DX, running remote to K2LE/1 from my QTH in NH.  The shack has
1.5Mb/.5Mb DSL service.  The average latency on the connection varies from
120-150mS, with very manageable jitter.   We run the RemoteRig boxes with
8kHz bandwidth, and this works very well.   I don't feel handicapped by
being remote at all... In many QSOs, I get unsolicited comments of great
audio on SSB, and no issues with CW.  It is just like being there.

The Microbit boxes do have a lot of configuration parameters.  You also
have to know how to port forward from your router in the shack (unless you
are using the box in your own home, and both ends are on the same LAN).  If
you are not familiar with networking, configuring the boxes can be a
challenge.  As the others have stated, the forum on the RemoteRig site is a
good resource --> search it with Google first, as much of your frustration
has already been experienced by others.

Their is another solution with the K3/0 which is essentially 15-minute plug
and play.  It is a free solution, once you own the K3/0.   This is the
software and website of Brandon, KG6YPI -- an Elecraft employee and the guy
you usually talk to if you are experiencing problems with the Microbit gear
and K3/0.

Your K3/0 has a USB connector on it.   This connector can be plugged into a
PC, and two codecs (send/receive) and two RS-232 connections (Rig Control
and passthrough) are automatically installed.

Brandon's site is www.remotehams.com.   Their is PC software for the remote
end as well as the server end.
You can use Brandon's software without the K3/0 -- but it has some very
cool features:
- If you have a K3/0 and a K3 at the station, you get full control of the
radio with all features.
- If you want to connect to a remote on RemoteHams, where the remote is NOT
a K3, you can still use the
K3/0 for frequency control and other features.

I use RemoteHams to control Dom, 3Z9DX's station, and run SSB from Poland.
  It works very well, though the overall
latency is much higher.

CW still has some work to be done.  But I know Brandon is getting there.
I've asked Dom if I could try his station in some contest on CW -- it will
be interesting to see how that works out.

I use both RemoteHams and the Microbit RemoteRig solution with the K3/0,
and am very happy with both; I will continue to use RemoteRig in serious
contest situations.

73, Gerry W1VE
Hancock, NH

Gerry Hull, W1VE   | Hancock, NH USA | +1-603-499-7373
AKA: VE1RM | VY2CDX | VO1CDX | 6Y6C | 8P9RM
<http://www.yccc.org> <http://www.yccc.org/>
<http://www.facebook.com/gerryhull>
<https://plus.google.com/+GerryHull/posts>     <http://www.twitter.com/w1ve>