Jessie:

I expect that the only place you'll find that two antennas give you a consistent advantage is when you try to work long haul DX on 80 and 160 (and maybe 40). The vertical gives you the low angle transmission assuring that the other fellow will hear you, but most of the noise is low angle, and you might not be able to hear him over the noise. In that case a separate receive antenna (such as small loops and travelling wave antennas) that has low efficiency but favors the desired signal over noise will be an advantage on receive.

You are correct that no particular polarization of your antenna is an advantage for receiving skywave signals. The actual polarization will be a random sum of several different elliptically polarized components. Those will be different for every signal and will evolve over time for the same signal.

I have two straight 20 m dipoles, one horizontal and about 45 feet off the ground, and the other vertical with the feedpoint 20 feet off the ground. Both have served as excellent QRP DX antennas. Neither consistently outperforms the other on DX; the better performance on any given contact depends on propagation conditions. I've confirmed this with both on the air tests and extensive VOACAP computations. Clearly because of its high angle component, the horizontal is the more consistent performer in domestic contests like the NA QSO Party.

Those deep nulls that you see in the theoretical radiation patterns of dipoles reasonably high off the ground seldom actually occur. The non-uniformity of the ground electrical properties and ground elevation mean that the idealized conditions set up the wave cancellations that produce the nulls do not actually occur. A practical dipole at a realizable elevation over the ground will be only slightly superior on its broadside compared to the endfire direction.The theoretical null of my horizontal points right at Europe, but I still make lots of European QRP contacts with the antenna.

If you really want an antenna that discriminates against signals from undesired directions, you need you need a design like a Yagi, a phased array, or a small loop.

If your interest is in reducing cross station interference between colocated stations, as on a field day site, you should do some EZNEC studies using the near field. (Cebik has some material on this.) The near field patterns that cause interference with nearby equipment look nothing like the far field patterns.

Also if you're looking for punch on field day, you should do some VOACAP/VOAAREA angle of arrival calculations customized to your field day QTH. A great many field day contacts are high angle.

73,

Steve
AA4AK