Bob, W1SRB wrote:

down in the bottom of my parts box was a handheld speaker/microphone that I
picked up at a flea market a long time ago - it was probably from a CB rig
as it has a 2 character display as well as the PTT switch, volume and
squelch controls and an up/down switch. If I remove everything except the
speaker/mic, PTT switch and up/down switch and rewire it, can I use it on
the K2. Specifically, will the speaker/mic element work as a mic on the K2?

Possibly, but don't count on it. I've tried a variety of dynamic mics (which
a "speaker-mic" is) on my K2. None of them produced enough output to fully
drive the K2 on all bands. However, you can make an excellent microphone by
going to Radio Shack and buying one of their electret mic elements for about
US$2 and mounting it in the enclosure! You'll need to pick up the 5 volts
available at the mic connector to power it, so you'll need 4 wires in the
cord (ground, mic hot, +5v and the push-to-talk closure to ground) but with
all that stuff in the current mic you'll probably have plenty of wires
available. RS also sells 8 pin connectors required by the K2.

Mine is mounted in a hand-held enclosure that originally had a dynamic
element that sounded FB but had just marginal drive. The dynamic element was
round but much bigger than the electret, so I wrapped my electret in some
weather-stripping I had laying around (sticky on one side) to make a round
cushion that fit snugly in the space for the original element.

Ron AC7AC