I have been having problems with my K3 auto tuner using an antenna that has
worked well and been tuning easily for nearly all bands.  My first reaction
was to assume the antenna, an 80m horizontal loop, was the problem, but I am
now convinced otherwise.  To prove that, I did the following:
 - took the antenna down, refurbished it, and replaced the feed line (not
wasted energy);
 - tried other baluns;
 - confirmed that my LDG tuner has no problem tuning; and
 - tuned it manually with the K3 tuner.

The problem behavior is this.  On 40m and 80m, the K3 will not find a decent
SWR (<1.7:1) when auto-tuning.  On 80m it has done fine tuning one direction
across the band and failed going the other direction over a significant
portion of the band.  This is repeatable.  On 40m, the SWR for the antenna
system at the rig end is only about 1.7:1 at the low end and 1.4 at the high
end.  At the low end, the K3 tuner will not find a match under when the ATU
TUNE button is used, except in particular circumstances.  Using the menu
system to check tuner values, it ends up with the capacitor connected at the
antenna side at a low value and with a low value of series inductance.
Effectively this is near the bypass mode.  Hitting the ATU TUNE button to
cause a long tune cycle makes no difference.  Manually, the capacitor can be
switched to the transmitter side, and a match near 1:1 is easily set by
adjusting L and C.

Today I cleared the memory on 40m and manually tuned at a low frequency in
the band.  Then, moving up the band at 2KHz intervals, the auto tuner was
able to quickly fine tune the match and a full set of memories was created.
This means that I can work 40m without a problem without hitting the ATU
TUNE button, but if the ATU TUNE button is hit after a significant frequency
change, the match is lost.

Therefore, the key problem with the auto-tuner behavior is that when ATU
TUNE is used in a case where there is no nearby memory, or a large frequency
change has been made since the last transmission, the tuning algorithm
apparently does not try switching the capacitor from the antenna side to the
transmitter side, and the tuner does not thoroughly look for a match.

Is this abnormal behavior for my unit, or is this a quirk of the system?

Thanks,
Rob, KK4R