The KX3 operates well in most environments in modes with reasonable key-down times. Recognizing that more and more operators are using digital modes with extended key-down times, we recently replaced the supplied heat sink of the KX3 with one having significantly more thermal mass and radiation surface area. If your KX3 is an earlier one, and your operating preferences require longer key-down times at higher power levels than your thermal environment can reasonably handle, the improved heat sink is available at a nominal cost.

An alternative is to run a bit less than 5 watts and find the balance of transmit time, local environment and mode preferences that work for you. Being a weak-signal mode, WSPR at 3 or even 4 watts is likely to work well for you with the radio as-is.

In the end, this is a thermal management issue, not a firmware or software problem.

73,

Lyle KK7P

I am on my second KX3, having sold the first one and then  find myself
missing it.  However, I now find the KX3 routinely overheats in digital
modes...