Louis -

The Velleman 890L is a versatile instrument at a reasonable price. It has all the usual functions plus capacitance measurement, transistor hFE, temperature (includes probe), frequency to 20 KHz, current ranges to 20 amperes, and auto-shutoff so you don't run the battery down. Price is typically about $35.00 to $ 45.00 depending on where you order. There are probably better units out there if cost is no object, but the combination of features and price will be hard to beat.

Here is a link:

http://www.ba-electronics.com/dvm890.htm

The usual disclaimers apply. Good luck.

- Jim, KL7CC

Louis LaCour wrote:

Hello all...

Have been lurking here for a while soaking up some wisdom in anticipation of
receipt of my K2.  As I lost all of my tools etc. in Katrina, I'm in the
process of "re-stocking," including a new digital multimeter.  I've poked
around on the net some, but the choices are truly bewildering.  If anyone
could offer a suggestion for a unit with a good price-performance ratio, I'd
certainly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Louis
KE5GIU