The ongoing discussions regarding woes involving AC power supplies puzzles
me, because I've operated for years from 2-volt batteries and wonder why it
isn't a more common practice.
    From QRP rigs to 100-watt transceivers through VHF/UHF equipment, all my
equipment is powered through a single, deep-cycle RV/Marine battery in a safety
housing under the bench, constantly connected to a "smart" battery charger. I
took a cheap, plastic toolbox and created inside a buss arrangement with fusing
to make it easy for neatly and safely connecting all the various radio power
leads to one location. All of this can be done for less than $150.
    In practice, the 20-amp charger absorbs most of the load when a 100-watt
rig is keyed and the battery simply acts like a big capacitor to stop "hash"
and voltage flunctuations. When working with simple QRP rigs, the pure DC
supply is a joy because it eliminates the most obvious noise source from
getting into the receivers. Because the charger is quietly maintaining the
battery at a trickle rate, there is little gas given off by the battery and
normal household air movement is sufficient to safely eliminate any buildup.
The battery box and charger sit under the operating desk, where I can keep an
eye on voltages, charging rates and battery condition.
    I've operated this way for years without a problem, and have had batteries
last seemingly forever. I replaced the last one after 10 years of use, which
included some major tasks at annual Field Day events. If there are drawbacks to
this type of power useage, I'm not aware of them, and highly recommend
batteries as the least expensive and most stable way to feed all your 12-volt
equipment. Needless to say, the isolation from wavering AC mains is a plus,
along with having instantaneous emergency power when the mains fail.
    If there's something I'm overlooking in this type of operation anyone would
like to address, I'd welcome the comments.
    73, Dale
    K6PJV, Sacramento, CA.