73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10,163

On 8/22/2015 7:17 PM, Richard W. Solomon wrote:
It seems to me that using a DB-9 connector for non-RS232 uses is taking the
Easy way out.
There are numerous other connectors that could be used to alleviate any
Misunderstanding.

Not everyone goes through manuals with a fine tooth comb to locate the
"gotchas".

73, Dick, W1KSZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim
Brown
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2015 4:25 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K2 - KPA100 RS232 interface repair

Hi Floyd,

I've owned and operated a pair of K2s, both of which I bought used.
Elecraft makes it very clear that the DB9 connector on the K2 is NOT an
RS232 interface, that it is not RS232 compliant, and that a standard
RS232 cable should NOT be used. Rather, the DB9 connector provides both
serial control AND several control functions.

The DB9 connector is a generic part, and can be used for many things besides
RS232.  It is also well known that while the RS232 Standard defines voltage
levels, MANY modern products produce far less than those levels.

I've owned a lot of gear in my lifetime, and the first thing I do is open
the manual, study it, study the wiring of the various connectors, study the
specs, and study the operating instructions.

73, Jim K9YC