The basic K2 is less than the price of a K3/K3S, but consider that the K3/K3S is an all mode 160 thru 6 meter transceiver, including AM and FM modes, and uses DSP for modulation/demodulation and filtering as well as most of the other functions, making it an SDR transceiver that can be upgraded with no-cost firmware downloads.

The basic K2 is CW only for 80 thru 10 meters (but not 60 meters). If you add all the options to give it the full 160 thru 10 meter band capability (6 meters must use an external transverter), SSB, Noise Blanker, and audio DSP filtering, you will have a total price that approaches the K3/K3S, but you still have to build it. If you ask one of the builders for hire to build it for you, the price can even exceed that of the K3 (depending on your chosen options). It will not do AM or FM, and will not receive very far outside the ham bands.

The K3/K3S can be used for general coverage receive with the addition of the KBPF3, so if general coverage is part of your desires, the K3/K3S is your only choice.

73,
Don W3FPR