Or that perhaps Eric was concerned with an unsupportable failure rate, as
in where *most* people fail, is more like it. That is why you will see very
little of a kit where you solder SMD parts. Fine activity for those few who
can do it well, but considering that kind of skill as "common" is not just
unrealistic, but more like silly.

Beyond skills, there is the problem of how SMD parts are made and
distributed. Particularly on a tape reel containing 1000's of the same part
with precision spacing on the tape, meant to feed a machine. Bazillions of
SMD parts are made, distributed and fabricated on boards with these methods
where the first handle-able output is a fully populated and soldered PC
board.

That's just a reality these days, and discrete part kits are now an odd,
tiny, tiny, niche in the universe of all electronic that goes on.

If you really want a discrete parts kit experience of some substance, best
buy yourself a K2 kit, before Elecraft decides to drop it.

73, Guy K2AV