I can't speak for the K3, but my KX3 only tunes when I ask (push a button) but my LDG is an auto tuner. I DO have a LDG AT-200 on my Orion. I had another brand z 125 watt tuner and it fried when I ran RTTY at 100 watts. I switched to the LDG and it does take the power. After digging (much digging) I found tuner z was only good for about 60 watts key down. The KX3 also "burps" when I change bands - quick, so I am not sure the problem with the K3.

The pushing a button is nice, but... I can set the LDG tuner to automatically tune when the VSWR gets above a set-point. Nice, no "need" to push a button. It will tune with full power drive. Auto tune is nice. The first Orion's with the built in tuner (LDG) only tuned when asked (push the button). One reason I went for the external tuner for the Orion II.

I do like my KX3. It is a little difficult to put the Orion in my pocket. (the K3 wasn't out when I purchased the Orion...)

73, steve WB3LGC