I think what everyone is missing here is that Adam has clearly stated that his tests were not designed to be tests to directly compare analog and direct sampling radios, and certainly they were not intended by Adam for direct comparisons to the tests run by the ARRL and Sherwood. They were originally intended as -additional- lab tools for technical people and those like us here at Elecraft and Flex, ICOM, Yaesu etc to use for evaluation of our designs going forward. We can certainly take additional data in the lab to make these tests even more useful as comparisons between different technologies etc.

Your comment about including the mds of the rig and the A/D limit level at the settings used for each of his tests will help a lot though in comparing the results. I'd also like to see that.

One other note - the 2.7 kHz SSB filter he used on his test of the K3 (without new synth) does not have as good of a stop band and shape factor as our 2.8 kHz and narrower 8-pole SSB filters. Thereis a big difference between thge two for this type of testing. I'd like to see the noise power test data for a K3 (or K3S) with new synth and an 8 pole 2.8 kHz or narrower filter. We did surprisingly well with the 2.7 kHz 5-pole in his tests. I know what he will see with the 8-pole filter and new low noise Synth. :-)

73,
Eric
/elecraft.com/