From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Walter
Underwood
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 9:02 AM
To: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Digital Voice Mode - our future?

The D-Star protocol is published and open, but all the radios use a
proprietary, licensed voice codec (AMBE). Also, Icom has registered the
trademark “D-STAR”.

It would be possible to run D-Star with an open source codec (like Codec2), but
it probably would not interoperate with other D-Star radios. Codec2 was
developed by Dave Rowe, VK5DGR.

Some people have argued that the proprietary AMBE codec is equivalent to
encryption, and not legal for US amateur radio us. I could buy that.

wunder
K6WRU
CM87wj
http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)