Chuck, NI0C wrote:

It's not very pretty, but a great way to slow down your bug is to clip an
old-fashioned spring-type clothespin to the thumbscrews of the weights.  You
can wrap solder around the ears of the clothespin to add more weight and
slow those dits down to match your dahs!

------------------------------

That works. I find that it's more effective to add length to the pendulum
like the "bug tamer" does. I have a large alligator clip whose jaws just fit
around the pendulum, so it can be clipped on the end without interfering
with the damper. Extra length does a lot more to slow the speed down, gram
for gram, than extra weight along the center area of the pendulum. The
downside is that it requires more depth on the operating table where the
extra length won't bump into anything.

Of course, you can always use a really robust weight, like a cable clamp.
See my Vibroplex bug in use at an RCA shore station by its original owner
at:
http://www.radiomarine.org/historic-5.html

Note the weight! I've used it and it works, but the alligator clip is easier
to deal with.

I also have a vari-speed and find it the least friendly solution. Also it
doesn't have the ability to slow my bug down enough. Vibroplex keys of the
same model vary a great deal in their "natural" speed, depending upon the
date of manufacture. Some checking various keys has shown that Vibroplex
tended to use leaf springs with widely different thicknesses that greatly
affected the natural dit speed.

Ron AC7AC