From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Fred
Townsend
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2015 4:46 PM
To: 'Robert Sands'; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 DSP processor speed

Bob:
There are many many reasons why this is an apples to watermelon comparison.
Too many for discussion here. However two thoughts. In general the faster
the processor the 'more' chances of producing RFI. It could be Wayne and the
boys kept the processor speed low to reduce noise. Also in CMOS processors
the current drain goes up proportional to the square of clock frequency.
Simply faster processors take more power and with power comes the need for
fans and heatsinks. That's from the physical side. However the application
of more filters could possibly reduce noise from the software side but this
is far from a simple tradeoff.
Finally even if were a push between the K3 and 7851 have you ever heard of
anyone bragging about their service?
73
Fred, AE6QL