I believe there's more than one correct answer. In earlier times, the "Collins Standard" was 6 dB/S-unit and 50 uv = S9. My 75S3 came in at 53 uv for S9, and pretty much held to the 6 dB/S-unit below that. Not so much above S9

With my service monitor feeding my K3, it is exactly 50 uv = S9 because I set it for that. It's a little hard to tell on the bar graph S-meter, but it seems to be about 5 dB/S-unit below S9. It also seems to be about 5 dB/S-unit above S9 [i.e. quite linear, in the logarithmic sense :-)].

I've often wondered why S-meters go above S9 which should be about the strongest signal you ever receive and thus would be full scale.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016