From Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_meter

   "IARU Region 1 Technical Recommendation R.1 defines S9 for the
   HF bands to be a receiver input power of -73 dBm. This is a level
   of 50 microvolts at the receiver's antenna input assuming the
   input impedance of the receiver is 50 ohms.

   For VHF bands the recommendation defines S9 to be a receiver
   input power of -93 dBm. This is the equivalent of 5 microvolts
   in 50 ohms."

Alan N1AL