From: Elecraft
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On
Behalf Of Ian White
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:10 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Nearby Ham Interference

In a multi-transmitter setup, use a simple
throwaway RF detector to test for potentially
damaging levels of RF *before* connecting the
second radio.

The simplest RF indicator consists of a 50-ohm
resistor, one diode, one capacitor and an LED,
haywired together on the rear of an SO-239.
Sensitivity depends on the type of detector diode
and LED, but typically the LED will begin to glow
at RF levels above a few tens of milliwatts into
50 ohms. So if the LED shows anything more than a
very dim glow, it would be risky to connect a
radio.

And if the detector burns out, well, that was the
whole point of using a "throwaway" device - to
take the bullet instead of your K3! Replace the
damaged parts and carry on testing.

(Obviously there's much more to say about this,
but the details are currently buried in
unsearchable Yahoo archives.)

73 from Ian GM3SEK