This behavior is frequently caused by oxidation on a normally-closed (relaxed) relay in the antenna chain. Amplifier relays, bandpass filter relays, antenna selector relays are all suspects. It also could be a poorly soldered contact in the antenna, or an oxidized PL-259 center pin. When you transmit, it burns through the oxidation, which lasts only for a while. A treatment with Deox-it or a relay burnishing tool on the offending contact is the cure.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

-----Original Message----- From: Dick Lindzen
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:45 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Receive drops about 6 s-units

I'm having a problem with my K3 (with 2 receivers and a P3). While listening for a few minutes, signals drop about 6 s-units. Original strength returns when I push the PTT, but the drop returns after a minute or two. None of this impacts transmit. It seems like a bad relay. Has anyone else encountered this?
73, Dick, WO1I

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to k6ll.d...@gmail.com