> On Apr 26, 2016, at 8:08 PM, Kevin Stover <kevin.sto...@mediacombb.net> wrote:

> I'm curious why is direct sampling SDR's like the 7300 are supposed to be the
> second coming why Icom stuck with the traditional superhet architecture on
> it's "flagship" 7851? Maybe they realize the technology is at least 5 years
> away from being competitive. Everybody is ignoring W4TV's 800lb Gorilla, ADC
> overload.

What suggests you that direct-sampling SDRs are 5 years away from being
competitive? Elecraft will likely have moved to this architecture in less time
than that to remain competitive. I suspect that one of the reason Icom stuck
with the superheat on the IC-7851 is because this product was already in
production by the time they made the decision to design a direct-sampling SDR.
Now this is all speculation. What matters is that many of us who have high-end
direct-sampling SDRs haven't experienced the overload issues. I don't doubt
some operators have (maybe W4TV one of them), but these are probably isolated
case. BTW, all receivers have weakness (every design has trade-offs), including
the ones designed by Elecraft (I can hear images on KX3 sometimes). Just that
you know, K9CT has one of the finest contesting station in the US. He has
switched to direct-sampling SDRs (Flex-6700). Just ask him if this architecture
is 5 years away from being competitive.

73,
Robert-KP4Y/W4
Sent from my iPhone