Folks - In the interest of relieving our list readers from severe single topic email overload, let's end this thread now.

While an interesting topic with lots of good comments, its had a -huge- number of postings. It is time to give it a rest.

(I would have jumped in earlier yesterday, but I was extremely busy at my other job - making the best all around radios in the world :-)

73,

Eric
Elecraft list moderator
/elecraft.com/

On 4/26/2016 11:48 PM, Barry LaZar wrote:
>     You touch on the real problem 14-16 bits of sampling vice having
> more bits in the sample. It's not specifically the direct sampling
> architecture.

The real problem is not enough bits.  DSR proponents continue to ignore
the sensitivity vs. overload trade-off.  They tout their "top of the
list" IMD performance and "multiple slice receiver" capabilities while
completely hiding the fact that those items can only be accomplished by
reducing sensitivity some 30 dB compared to a conventional superhet
receiver in the presence of strong signals.