Craig NZ0R asked:

"...what are the most common soldering problems? Could we head off errors by
discussing them here or beefing up the material on the Elecraft Web site on
this topic?"

---------------------

Based on what I've seen I'd say the most common soldering error is not
soldering. Missing joints, especially in the PCB construction we use these
days. A part can sit there in a plated hole for months, sometimes years,
before the connection oxidizes enough to impact performance.

I'd guess that Gary might opine that a more immediate problem with soldering
it the dreaded PTTL (poorly-tinned toroid lead) that proves that a solder
joint can firmly hold a wire and look just perfect - shiny and bright with
solder that obviously flowed well - and still not make electrical connection
to the wire if the wire still had enamel insulation covering it! Actually,
such joints are visible if one knows what to look for. There will be a tiny
dark ring around the wire where it exits the solder. It's easy to miss and
usually requires a very strong magnifier for even the best of eyes to see.
The ring is the circle of blackened enamel on the wire that has not been
penetrated by the solder.

Ron AC7AC