Hi All,

Well, those hoping for a K4 have been foiled again!!!!

Interesting that Elecraft chose to go with a reduced sized KX3 as their new offering, but it does make some sense. There are several new, smaller QRP rigs coming out these days, and possibly this may blunt the interest in those to some extent. It's also just a tad bit irritating that the info we are seeing, for the most part, is coming out of Japan!!! I don't quite get that. Well, we are probably only a few days away from more info here.

As an owner of a KX3, I won't be moved too quickly to jump on this new offering. However, those on the fence up to now may find this to be a more appealing option. It's not yet clear what you are giving up--a couple of watts apparently, and a couple of bands at both ends of the HF spectrum (160 and 6). I assume the PX3 will mate with the KX2, but not sure. Hopefully the ATU option will be as good.

One thing that intrigues me somewhat is that the KX2, combined with the KPAX100, might be a more versatile portable/mobile combination than the KX3 as a substitute. For mobile operating, the KX3 is a bit clumsy, but the reduced size of the KX2 might make it work better--not sure.

Anyway, I just continue to be fascinated with what Elecraft comes up with. They are fun to watch! I had sort of expected maybe something with a larger display, and maybe a touch screen, but not yet! That may be a K4 feature, whenever that comes about.

Dave W7AQK