Phil,
I have two K2's which are only used on SSB. I use the Elecraft (Heil) MD2 microphone. There are no mods to either K2SB module. I get compliments on the audio and just last week F5RQQ recorded my audio (unsolicited) and played it back to me. It sounded excellent. I constantly work DX stations with both the K2/100 and the barefoot K2 so something must be right with the audio. One must follow the instructions in the KSB2 manual when setting up the filters and SSB parameters however.

73, Bob  VE3XM

K2/100  S/N  4031
K2  S/N  4575