That's one way to go, but note...  that while this may work great on RX,
heat dissipation MIGHT be an issue on TX.

I'm building a fan controller to control 4 x 120mm fans (1.6A per max)
on EITHER the 12V or 13.8V power supplies at our repeater site...

I tried using 10A10 diodes to drop the 13.8 VDC down into a reasonable
12+ VDC domain....

Worked fine for low speed...  let the fans run flat out and the diodes
heated up wayyyyyy too hot without heat sinking AND a fan...  they sink
on the leads.  And the 10A10 is rated to 10 Amps.

So...  at receive say on a K3s, you'd be sinking at least 1VDC
(preferably 2.2 to get to 13.8 nominal) at about 1.16A = 1.16W (or 2.552
Watts with three diodes in series.)
Not bad...

NOW, TRANSMIT on SSB at 100W on the PA.... 3.55 Amps approx without
saying anything....  TALK, and the current draw goes up to 16 Amp peaks...
Suddenly, you're asking those little silicone diodes to sink anywhere
from 7.81 to 35.2 Watts!!!
You ain't gonna do that very long without some thermal control...  sinks
and active cooling...

Just my observations...  worth what you paid for them.  :-)

Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389