Your analysis is right on target, Clay -- dissipation must certainly be considered. Note, however, that when he Bill suggested series diodes, he was specifically addressing the KX3, not a 100W K3. As to the use of diodes to reduce the voltage -- I'd look first at the possibility of adjusting the output voltage of the power supply regulator. Virtually all of the commercial power supplies I've seen that are intended for ham and 2-way radio service are adjustable over a range of +/- 5-10%. This is generally true of both linear and switch-mode supplies.

In your application at a repeater site, I would look very carefully at the voltage and current specs of the gear. Most ham gear and commercial 2-way gear is designed for automotive operation with an alternator running. 13.8VDC is the assumed nominal voltage, with possible peaks above that depending on voltage regulation. When used in fixed installations, 13.8VDC is the usual operating voltage. I suspect that is at least part of the basis for Elecraft's design and the 15VDC max spec.

Note also that distortion in many RF power amps is strongly related to power supply voltage, and is reduced as the voltage is increased. This is certainly true of Elecraft gear.

73, Jim K9YC