On Mon,7/11/2016 2:07 PM, Matt Murphy wrote:
I am guessing that installing a grounded 240V receptacle and using the conduit as ground is *not* up to code.

It depends on the building code used by local jurisdiction. In many jurisdictions, it IS legal to use conduit as the green wire IF it is continuous and all the connections are made properly. As I recall, it's legal in Chicago, where steel conduit is used for almost everything, in large part to keep union electricians working.

In other jurisdictions, or if the conduit is not properly bonded for the entire length, a dedicated green wire must be run.

If it were, then perhaps I could install a NEMA 6-30 receptacle (which has a ground pin and two hots).

I don't know connectors by number, but what I would install is a standard outlet with two hots and ground that is slightly larger than an ordinary 120V outlet. Or even two outlets in the same steel backbox, like a 120V duplex.

73, Jim K9YC