When I wired an addition to our house some 40 or so years ago, one of my circuits from the service box started in Romex, converted to steel conduit, and then back to Romex. Since the grounding connections were properly bonded to each other, the building inspector in Los Gatos, CA approved it.

The principle reason for the grounding conductor (green wire) is to cause the circuit breaker to open if one of the hot wires shorts to the case of the electrical equipment. If the case just floated, it would be a shock hazard for anyone who touched it and also touched something that was grounded.

73 Bill AE6JV