Ah, yes Ron -- Paper QSLs!  On my QRZ page it says "No LoTW, no eQSL and no Buro."  I still revere old fashioned QSL cards, with handwritten notes and some evidence that our QSO was something more than just "599 TU".  Try showing your grandchildren a printout of your LoTW contacts and see how many oohs and aahs you get ;-)

73, Stan WB2LQF

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 01:04 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

I don't "chase DX" but over the years have had a number of great, albeit short CW rag chews with various DX stations on a dead band. Usually the DX responds to my CQ, noting that they were surprised to hear me because the band seemed dead. So we chat for a few minutes. Unfortunately (depending upon your point of view) the various spotters would notice us, alert the 'net and soon there would be tuners on top of us so we'd QRT. As one DX station noted, "Sigh, here we go again..." and sure 'nuf pandemonium would erupt on the frequency with the DX station sending "UP 2 UP 2 UP 2..." while I set down my 'phones, refreshed my cup of tea and wrote him a thank you note on an old-fashioned paper QSL card.
73, Ron AC7AC

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of stan levandowski
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2016 7:54 PM
To: k6...@foothill.net
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Propagation

Well, science provides predictions and suggests outcomes but I'm still a hopeless romantic who tunes the bands in spite of the numbers. Tonight I found a completely dead 20M band at 0220Z except for a single CW QSO in progress between WB6UIA (QRZ says Wyoming) and XE2HOE in Baja California (La Paz). When they were finished, I gave XE2HOE a call and got a 579. He was a steady S9 and the guy in Wyoming was S6.

I live in NY, my antenna is a 67' doublet in my attic and my rig is a
KX2 and it was running at 5 watts (I'm 100% CW and QRP).

Afterward, I tuned the band again but heard nothing. Guess everyone read the prop stats and turned off their radios....

73, Stan WB2LQF