In my last job before retirement I was supervising a group of folks in a components engineering department at Raytheon. A good number of them worked on nothing but obsolete parts issues. When the latest and greatest parts are obsolete in a year or so and you have missile products that require support for at least 10 years (there are probably TOW Missiles in inventory that I worked on in 1966) you have a real problem.

This was especially true when suppliers issued End Of Life notices and the bean counters in Procurement were aghast at the idea of lifetime buys and inventories.