It is a way of life.  That said, I have found that for stations below my
frequency on LSB or above it on USB that I can advanced the Hi Cut
control quite a ways while maintaining intelligibility of the received
signal.  The converse, stations above on LSB or below on USB cause me
more problems as intelligibility deteriorates rapidly as the Lo Cut
control is advanced.  This is with a K3 with a 2.1 kHz filter installed.

Still, the K3 is the absolute best in this regard of a number of radios
I've used over the years.  This is just due to the characteristics of
SSB and the way we use it in amateur radio.

73, Nate, N0NB