True magic for non-contesters would be to filter out all contesters and have a quiet band :-)

Guess that's called "Move to WARC bands".

Phil W7OX

On 9/2/16 10:50 AM, David Smith wrote:
Have a question I feel I know the answer to.  I am an avid contester and
when contesting thru the years (since 1978 and especially on 40 meters) have
always had problems filtering out on my receive other contest stations who
bleed over to my receive frequency their signals so I care hear the weaker
stations coming back to me, mainly domestic contests.  Thru the years
operated IC 765, Omni 6+ and now the K3S.  Still with DSP filtering, etc. I
feel this is a way of life with contesting.  Have had this discussion with
many of my big gun contesters and we feel this must be a way of life with
ssb contests.  CW contests are much easier to filter out the side to side
stations.  My directional antennas on these bands help a lot but guess this
is the way of life with ssb contesting.  Would like other input from your
experiences.

Thanks

David, ND4Y  (KS3, KS2, KX2 owner)