It looks nothing like an "ancient Yaesu"...because is a Kenwood TS-830S,
introduced in 1980.  To this day it's one of the best hybrid-design ham
transceivers ever made.  It has two S2001A (equivalent to 6146B) tubes in the
PA for 220 W PEP SSB, 180 W CW.  Ham bands (including WARC) only.  Gotta love a
rig with PA PLATE and LOAD controls.

Still...what QST editor confused the TS-830S with a KX3, or any other all-solid
state rig made since 1983?  My guess is some youngster who doesn't know that
rigs like this with vacuum tubes ever existed. :-)

Mike / KK5F