In the K3 there are a few digital lines from the front panel which carry
multiplexed information to the CPU. The only way I can think of that would
scramble unrelated front panel input according to your report is that the
multiplexed line is malfunctioning and screwing up the data stream into the
cpu. The essential way to do that is a poor connection in the connector
pin/socket between front panel and CPU board.

Don't remember serial when Elecraft went to gold pins, but if they aren't
gold in yours you need to upgrade. If they ARE gold then the connector
probably is not seated properly. There is a lot of good stuff in the
archives about the "pin problem".

The other thing hate to bring up is lightning/static damage. If you can get
to the seller you might want to discuss the problem with him and whether
unit non-professionally repaired/disassembled/reassembled.

73, Guy K2AV

--
Sent via Gmail Mobile on my iPhone