My previous house was a homestead house built in 1955. It had three different foundations, a nearly flat roof, and the back half of the house wired with two conductor wiring (no U ground outlets). I bought it in 1996 and FHA gave me a waver on the wiring and also a non-standard indoor door opening. I did got thru the house to clear ground faults and found one dead outlet with wires burned away. I trimmed/taped them and place a blank cover on that outlet. Bathroom had no ground-fault outlets (another code violation) which I disabled to get wiring to pass inspection. We sold it and moved in 2006.

Its because of these potential (no pun) errors in wiring that I do not recommend connecting your antistatic devices to the green safety ckt of the house wiring. Absolute ground is not necessary; only that there is not voltage potential between components being installed. Why I also suggest unhooking dc power leads to any PS during sensitive component work.

If you start checking outlets you may be in for surprise how few are correctly installed. A simple plug in the outlet ckt tester will show ground faults (from Lowes or Home Depot for $12). Best purchase for determining if outlets are hot.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: