Sri Jim: You must have misunderstood. You defined the rig as the 'load' so I
used your definition. Perhaps that's the problem.

Avoiding that terminology, if there is no reflected power at the rig, the
SWR will be 1:1. Power can be "lost" in the antenna (hopefully radiated) or
consumed in the transmission line. But, as long as there is no reflected
power arriving back at the rig, the SWR at the rig will be 1:1 no matter
what it is at the antenna.

You are right; the antenna is usually up in the air, and some hams climb
towers to make the adjustments at the antenna in order to ensure a good
impedance match with the transmission line to minimize transmission line
losses.

But most of us with dipoles, etc., make do with an approximate match based
on physical measurements. We measure the SWR at the rig to reassure
ourselves that the SWR at the antenna is reasonable.

And, of course, if the rig is not equipped with an ATU, we are concerned
that the SWR at the rig is not high enough to be reduce final amplifier
efficiency and increase heat dissipation. That was the original concern that
started this thread.

73, Ron AC7AC