Hi,

How about following Vic, 4X6GP's advice and test the K3 without the KPA500
in circuit? Your symptoms are exactly as if the K3 TX calibration is badly
out of wack as he suggests. The fact that a band change makes it worse is a
dead give-away. A band change makes the K3's ALC algorithm reset itself to
defaults and these defaults are set by the TX gain calibration. Your
situation seems a bit extreme, though, with only 20% initial power so there
may be other problems. But please test this out without the KPA500 in
circuit. And surely eliminate antenna problems by testing into a dummy load.

AB2TC - Knut

Bill Conkling wrote