Jamie (and all),

I post this information frequently.

Adjust the audio input level to produce 4 bars solid on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flashing.

That usually means setting the soundcard output slider on the computer to about 75% and then adjusting the K3(S) MIC GAIN (actually LINE IN gain) to produce that condition.
The onset of ALC is indicated by the 5th bar on the ALC meter.

Adjust the desired power output level with the POWER knob (not the audio level).

Elecraft transceivers control power differently than other amateur transceivers - set the K3 as indicated in the manual and ignore the internet advice (and some software instructions) which would have you set the power to full and adjust the power output with the audio level. That does *not* work with Elecraft transceivers. To do so will result in erratic power output.

73,
Don W3FPR