Kev and all,

A voltage "balun" can be tapped to produce a wide range of impedance transformation possibilities, but the voltage balun will have no effect on the problem of RF on the outside of the coax shield. The modern consensus is that only common mode chokes should be used on the feedline. They should have enough inductance at the frequency of interest to keep the RF off the outside of the coax.

See the works published by Jim Brown K9YC for a thorough discussion of RFI and "baluns" (common mode RF Chokes) for use in the amateur community - http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf.

73,
Don W3FPR