Oh, whatever power is generated by the transmitter is going to radiate. The classic example of "radiating power" that is completely and totally uninteresting is when you dump the power into a resistor (a dummy load) and the power is radiated as heat.

There is a contest where the participants take whatever metal stuff they find lying around, load it up and operate. It's proof that lots of things can work, more or less. The light-bulb example is another one.

I know that a 50 ohm source, going through a 50 ohm feedline into a 50 ohm load means minimal loss in the feedline. If you have 1/4 wave of coax with 100 ohm load the feedline will act as a transformer and you'll have 25 ohms at the transmitter -- and that means power lost as heat.

It also means the length of the feedline, in wavelengths (and therefore frequency) matters in the overall antenna system design.

That's why the balun should not be at the radio end, it should be near the antenna. If it's a permanent installation, taking the time to figure it out and get everything matched up is a good thing.

Ladder line is well loved because it isn't as lossy as coax when things aren't matched.

Tossing the radio (gently!) onto a picnic table at a park and throwing a wire into the air is different. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but you don't have a lot invested in the antenna system, and you can pick wire lengths that'll be "good enough" -- and "good enough" often is good enough.

This discussion started with what were good and bad lengths for an ad-hoc, non-resonant wire. Having some sort of 4:1, 9:1 or 16:1 balun (or un-un) gets important if your wire happens to be near resonance.

73 -- Lynn