From the manual:

   Frequency Stability: +/- 1 ppm typical over 0-50 C. An extended temperature
compenstation procedure can be applied for improved stability (refer to our KX3
web page).

So for operation above 20 MHz, you need to do the extended temp compensation. I
assume they don’t require a TCXO, but rather equivalent stability and accuracy.

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KX3%20Custom%20VFO%20TC%20rev%20A9.pdf
<http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KX3%20Custom%20VFO%20TC%20rev%20A9.pdf>

wunder
K6WRU