I wanted to thank everyone who commented on this thread. I felt an obligation
to wrap it up since I ‘poked the hornet’s nest’ :)) I did get some good
information and some interesting comments. It’s always fascinating to see how
things morph from the original post.One thing I did realize is that there still
is some confusion over what is an end fed halfwave; a fair amount of folks
conflate an end fed wire of any length with a resonant half wave. While it’s
true that a resonant half wave may be a non resonant random wire at bands other
than it was made, that’s not exactly a useful premise for my needs. So-in the
interest of closure I’ll post the original question in the clearest fashion I
can and ask that any thoughts on this please email me directly and if i get
some good responses I’ll post to the list so we can all have that to enjoy.
I also want to keep it Elecraft related as best I can. ,Ok-here’s what I’m
asking: Think about a SOTA (summits on the air) outing where I’m hiking to
activate a summit
and the goal is to travel light. ‘Ounces are pounds’ as the saying goes.Radios
are either a KX 3 or KX 2 both with autotuners. I have a number of options I
use already including resonant dipoles; verticals and loops, and I plan to
continue to use these as conditions require. You never know what’s the best
option until you’re actually at the site..One other option is either an end fed
random wire with a counterpoise (length selected to avoid a resonant quarter or
half wave-there’s charts out there to help select good lengths) or an end fed
(resonant) halfwave cut to resonate at the desired band. Think say, 66 feet for
40M give or take. Now-when I use a non resonant random length wire I feed it
directly off the radio (BNC-binding post adaptor). With a resonant halfwave I
would (and have) used a 9:1 transformer, coax (variable length) and perhaps a
common mode choke, and perhaps a short counterpoise. Between just those  two
antennas is there any advantage to using the resonant halfwave over the random
length wire? Is there more gain? Better takeoff angle? More lobes ? Would this
justify packing the extra stuff for the resonant halfwave? I’m guessing a lot
will depend on terrain/height,etc so may be hard to answer, but that’s the
question, and that only. I imagine efficiency may be a factor, but if I can
eliminate a transformer,feed line,and choke and feed directly to the radio that
should help eliminate some losses.
So-it isn’t about how to build/buy an EFHW; what to use at a home station,etc.
It’s just this one question. Like i said-I have a few good answers but curious
if there’s something I’m missing about the EFHW over the random length antenna.
Thanks everyone, and I hope we all can get out and enjoy our great rigs as much
as possible. The KX 2 is the radio I’ve been dreaming about for a long.long
time and now I have one...
Dan Presley  N7CQR
n7...@arrl.net