-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of EricJ
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 5:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] RE: ridge vent as antenna?

I have a commercial balloon rating (gas and hot air) so it was inevitable
that I would try a balloon antenna. As someone on here mentioned, it is not
a practical solution if there is any appreciable wind or there are any
hazards such as power lines. However, I have used them to raise a thin 160
meter vertical in the evening when propagation came up and the winds died
down. I didn't have much of a radial system and nothing to compare it to,
but it worked fine all night long. Helium lifts about 1 ounce (28 grams) per
cubic foot so you need to keep the weight of the antenna down. And you don't
just want to lift the wire. You want enough additional lift to put a little
tension on it. Don't forget the weight of the balloon as well. Obviously you
have to lift that as well.

I would think if a guy lived in Amarillo and knew Jack B. Kelly he could put
up a rotating balloon beam on 160. The alternative would be hydrogen, but
it's very tricky to handle and only has about 5% more lifting power. In
Europe they race gas balloons with hydrogen, but have to coat the inside
with graphite so they don't let the smoke out. In the U.S. we always used
helium. You could always tell a European team here in the U.S. because they
were covered in sooty-looking graphite. I wouldn't mess with it unless your
liability and life insurance are sufficient.

Eric
KE6US
www.ke6us.com