Dave,

Yes, a 400Hz filter will work well for RTTY (and CW too).

73,
Don W3FPR

On 2/21/2017 6:27 PM, Dave Fugleberg wrote:
Don, that's a great explanation. I came to the same conclusion in a recent RTTY contest. I built my K3 with the single stock filter based on advice from a number of folks to 'just operate for awhile til you get the feel for what other filters you need'. I think that's sound advice. Anyhow, I've been generally ok with the standard filter and relying on DSP filtering to narrow it as needed. However, in the RTTY contest, I often had issues working weaker stations when strong ones were very close by. It was easy to see what was going on by watching the P3- I'd start copying a signal inside the DSP bandwidth, and a strong one would pop up just above or below that station. Even though I couldn't hear the strong station, the weak one would go nearly silent as the AGC kicked in due to the strong signal in the IF passband. So, I think I've learned that I need a narrower filter for such situations. I'm thinking a 400hz filter is what I want. Any reason for a different selection in that scenario?
73 de W0ZF