Bob,

You have too much capacitance at C32 and C34.

Contact Elecraft support and ask them to send 2 trimmer caps to replace C44 and C46. The ones you have with your kit do not have a small enough minimum capacitance. The p/n you need is E540011 and the bodies were red the last time I saw them.

The 35 to 70pF range you measured is higher than I would expect. They should measure about 20pF to 45pF.

If you have a similar problem with the maximum power on 18 MHz as well, ask for replacements for C32 and C34. The part number is E540002 and they have yellow bodies.

See the latest Errata page - download it from the Elecraft website.
Trimmer capacitors have become a problem for Elecraft over the past 6 months or so. I believe you have brown body trimmers at C32, C34, C44 and C46. Several of those were found not to meet the manufacturer's specs for capacitance range and were dropped.

73,
Don W3FPR