Fred,

Yes, bare wire is what is called for - I usually just use some of the longer
component leads, but the supplied wire works fine, just remove the
insulation from a length of the wire and cut the bare wire to length.

After the encoder is soldered in, the leads are sufficiently short that
there is no danger of them contacting each other.

73,
Don W3FPR