Ok.. My K3 has done something similar recently.

When you suspect that the RX has gone dead, try holding the Tune button and
force the radio to transmit a CW carrier.  I suspect you'll find that you
will get no output power aswell...  In this case the problem is with the
local oscillator and you won't see any error codes on the display either.

In my case I'd run into trouble with low out of from the KREF3 reference
oscillator which was fixed with a resistor change as per these instructions
(
http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740278%20KREF3%20Output%20Level%20Modification.pdf).
  From memory the green LED on the top of the KSYN3A I'd installed would
not light when it decided it didn't like the look of the reference
oscillator, hence no LO would be generated and the symptoms were similar to
the ones you described.

It was intermittent and could be solved by power cycling the radio a few
times, I could have sworn the odd "calibrated bump" would restore operation
as well  but I'm not so sure.

Otherwise I'd be cleaning all of the TMP connectors with something like
deoxit and making sure all of the LO and Reference oscillator connections
are right.

I certainly hope that you find the gremlin in your radio.

73

Matthew
VK5ZM