The voltage measured at P4 10 is 0 going to 1.2 when transmitting. The
voltage measured directly on U6 pin 2 is 0 going to about 6.2 volts when
transmitting. I resoldered R12 and double checked U6 pin 2.

I'm really puzzled now.
Thanks for the help!

Keith Hamilton

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Kieth,

FB on your K2 symptoms - yes that was a good description.

OK, for the explaination:  The K2 detects the power output and sends it to
the microprocessor on the VRFDET signal line.  If the VRFDET line indicates
a power level less than the power requested by the power control knob, the
uP will take steps to increase the power output in an attempt to get it as
high as the power requested.  Since your K2 is developing full power output
regardless of the power control setting, the most likely cause is with the
VRFDET signal.

Start at the RF voltage detector D9 - be certain it is oriented properly
(the parts placement diagrams are handy for that check), and that everything
in that area is properly soldered - check the schematic for the related
components.  The VRFDET signal makes its way back to the uP (Control Board
U6 pin 2) where the firmware takes over its task.  You can easily check to
see if there is any voltage on Control Board P4 pin 10 during transmit - if
not, the problem likely is with the detector circuit, but if there is a good
voltage at CB P4 pin 10, then the problem lies on the control board - in
this case, check R12 and U6 pin 2 for proper soldering.

Poor solder connections are the most common cause of problems with the K2,
so check the soldering, and then re-check the soldering - when all that is
complete, check the soldering!

Once the microprocessor is signaled that there is power present, the
situation will settle down to something more normal.

73,
Don W3FPR