Actually, I'd want to know something about the potential user, since my impression of Flex is that they're a little complicated -- making the learning curve a bit complex.

Since this is the Elecraft list, and we see deals on solid, used K3's, that's a good recommendation.

But if we're really talking "first radio" then any good clean semi-recent HF rig would do nicely.

The K3 is more radio than the typical "entry level" rig from KenYaeIco, and one of those would be good enough.

A K3S would be the perfect second radio (until the K4 is out).

73 -- Lynn