Greetings to all,
I thought I would start a separate thread to expand this topic is a slightly
different direction as this topic touches on a number of areas.
The exposure discussion is very valid especially in today's vehicles that often
contain composites rather than metal panels, but I will leave this to others.
My expertise is in EMI control and so I can provide some background to how
unexpected things happen.
The DC issues are clear - you need to provide enough power cleanly to an
inverter.  Well over 100 Amps peak with acceptable drop.  This is all very low
resistance but not necessarily low impedance at the high frequencies being
used.  So some serious EMI filtering may be needed to keep things stable.
RF fields around the antenna will be high and most mobile antennas have a low
input impedance.  To fully understand EMI risk you need to understand where the
RF current will go, and simply put you need to consider the antenna as every
conductor in the vicinity of the actual radiator. The one rule of antennas is
that current goes to zero/reflect back from an end.  This is how NEC works - it
solves for the current distribution over the entire structure be it a dipole or
frigate, these currents are then used to calculate the antenna effect.  Now for
a vehicle the antenna and car body are the most obvious conductors to consider
and may be OK for the antenna analysis.  However, considering all conductors is
essential for EMI analysis, so add in all the cables, door slots (well
insulated breaks in the 'Faraday cage'), all other antennas, engine and mounts
ground straps etc.  Picking which can be ignored in a given situation requires
serious expertise.
For QRO operation these directly induced currents are very critical.  Unwanted
high current on any electronically controlled function can have unexpected and
potentially unpleasant results. The addition of the ham antenna, DC wiring,
other control wires combined with the possible positions for each part of the
system may drastically change the results of the system analysis performed by
the vehicle designers.  So caution is certainly called for.
EMI testing has a number of aspects, using a radiated field of 200V/m is one
typical test for remote EMI risks.  Direct current injection is used to
simulate near effects such as cells phones of an on-board transceiver of
'moderate' power.  If you can find out how the vehicle you have was tested,
then it is possible to get an idea of how much risk there might be (using NEC
to guesstimate the induced currents on each band).  this is not easy,,,,
Today's vehicles have so many safety critical electronic circuits that
manufacturers do go to extremes to keep everything bullet proof, but 1kW to a
(by necessity poor) antenna is most likely outside their considerations.  EMI
issues won't show all the time, as effects can interact, there is a stream of
data being passed at all times and upsetting some data patterns can be easier
than others.  Because of this testing takes a long time to get a high
confidence that vehicle performance is reliable or at least will fail to a safe
mode
OK. all said what is practical here?  First I would consider how much power I
really want to use as the problems grow rapidly with higher power.  Seek the
advice of someone familiar with both QRO operation and your specific vehicle if
possible (as was done on this list).  Be cautious and aware of the vehicle
behavior until you are sure all is well.  I would happily run a 1kW in my 1969
vehicle, but would be extremely cautious abut that in my 2015 minivan!  Though
ensuring good general RF design consideration I would not worry about 100W in
the minivan, maybe 200W, after that I would be in caution zone.
A call to the vehicle manufacturer might shed light on what they consider
reasonable or possible (though they might just say don't do that :-/  )
  Very 73,
      Colin..     WDJR